Wednesday 31 October 2012

Interview - Rebecca (Kadria Skincare)

Today, we bring you an interview with Rebecca, the founder of Kadria Skincare, whose Baby Balm Emi reviewed earlier this week...

Tell us about yourself...
I am a 38 year old woman of Anglo-Arabic background. I am a social worker, massage therapist and owner of Kadria Skincare, a natural and ethical skincare range for pregnant women, mums and babies.


Tell us about your wonderful children...

I have two children, Alexander just turned 6 and Leilah is 3 years old.


Why did you start Kadria?

I have, since my teens been interested in aromatherapy. As a young adult I used to make face oils. At that time I was not so much interested in the health benefits I just really enjoyed the fresh and natural smell of the oils. Over the years I learnt more about the wonders of essential oils and then when studying aromatherapy massage I started making balms and body oils. Kadria essentially started off as a hobby, it then developed from there.


How did you choose your business's unusual name?

Kadria is my middle name and it also means ‘power’ in Arabic. I thought it would be perfect as Kadria is all about the power of nature, the power of essential oils, vegetable oils and extracts and all other nature derived ingredients in between.


What is your personal favourite product?

I love the baby balm and the balancing face oil. The baby balm, should probably be called the ‘all rounder’ as it can be used for everything. I use it if or my son or I have a little eczema flair up to help as an emmolient. It can be used just about anywhere.
The Balancing Face Oil is a lovely, light and easily absorbed face oil. It contains a good amount of frankincense and neroli which makes it smell lovely . It is a great oil for adding a bit of extra value to your moisturiser or as a night time treat for the skin.


What are your most important things to you regarding your business?

I am interested in the environment and making sure my business activities do not have a negative impact on it. The formulas have to be biodegradable and the packaging should be easily recycled. That is very important to me. But for me, the most important thing is that we use fair trade ingredients. I have a background in international and social development, I have an understanding about the way international trade relationships work and I have a keen interest in imperialism. I get a lot of my raw materials from developing countries and I would like to know as much as possible that the people I am trading with are getting a good deal.


What inspires you?

Well, it’s more who than what – Noam Chomsky – he is that quiet yet powerful voice and he talks a lot of sense to me.
[American linguist, philosopher, cognitive scientist, logician, historian, political critic, and activist]



Where would you like Kadria to go next, and what are your plans for the future?

I am in the process of rebranding and reformulating. I am rethinking my products and am hoping to make the products inclusive to all women.



What is your favourite thing to do, just for yourself?
I like to meet with friends and also have massages but I really like making face creams . I am trying to make my perfect face cream!


What is the worst parenting moment you’ve ever experienced?
My son started reception last year and I missed his sports day. I went there in my lunch break and it had all finished by the time I got there. I found him though so he was happy to see me but disappointed that I did not see him in the games.



What springs to mind when you think of one of your favourite parenting memories?

Watching both Alex and Leilah dancing frenetically in the kitchen to the Doobie Brothers ‘I Don’t Like Cricket’. It was the funniest sight! But generally, I love cuddling up with them on the sofa.



What are the best, and worst, pieces of parenting advice you’ve been given?
My son was very small when he was born and the doctors wanted me to supplement my plentiful milk supply with formula. I did this for a week and then decided to trust my instincts. My son now has a milk allergy.


What has most surprised you on your parenting journey?
How smart children are! They never cease to amaze.



If you could change one thing about the world today to make it better for your child, what would it be?

There is a lot of bigotry, hatred and violence in the world. I do not think it needs to be this way. It won’t change but I don’t have to like it.





You can find Rebecca's amazing Kadria products on her Etsy store, or direct from the Kadria website, and she's kindly provided us with a code for use on her Etsy store, giving a 20% discount! Simply use the code 'NURTUREYOU' at the checkout!

She also writes a fantastic skincare and pregnancy blog too!

No comments:

Post a Comment